Well, ladies and gentlemen, it's my confession time.
What did you do this time, Bree?
I've been avoiding posting on here for two reasons. First of all, I know I am one very small voice in a once-small but now vast world of online geek blogging, and I have not felt like it was worth putting in my two cents into the Bank of Geekdom. Call it a lack of confidence in my ability to uniquely articulate and separate my thoughts from the herd.
Second, I haven't posted in a while because I've been focusing on developing my freelance career. Since I quit my teaching job, I've been figuring how to work for myself and actually make a living off of it. It's time-consuming and often when I'm done researching about writing I'd rather not sit down to actually write. Mass Effect or Halo seem like better options for stress-release.
Have any of you ever felt the same? Comment below and let me know!
So what about this site?
Geek My Life has been instrumental in getting me writing again and consistently interacting with new people and experiences. I also talked to a few friends (kudos to Erin of Geek Girl, Nerd Boy and Eric of iGeektrooper) who advised me to write what I feel like writing. As such, I've decided to keep this site going but with some new approaches, starting with a revamp of content. From hereon out, posts will be related to and organized by one of these topics:
- Geek Gigs - I've adored conducting interviews with industry professionals in media, tech, entertainment, and gaming. I'll continue to post any interviews I conduct here (assuming that I am not pitching the interview to a paying market, of course).
- Nerd Networking - This is a new interest of mine: the geek situations IRL (in real life). How do you explain to your mom why you want to be a game designer? Why is it important to note your social media knowledge on a résumé? I want to address these types of questions in an advice column format.
- Media Musings - I wanted to do movie and television reviews since high school, but never thought there was a reason to since so many others already do that. I don't care anymore - I will write my observations here, except I will try to focus on the themes, morals, foreshadowing, etc. that most sites ignore in favor of the "his acting was fantastic" commentary.
- Geek My Life - I'll still write about all my geek discoveries and experiments, the reason I opened this blog in the first place. If you find my reactions to new material too much to handle, I apologize in advance but you have been warned.
- Spotty Speculations - Anything seemingly random will go here, such as my frustration with gender in the geek world, or pictures of awesome stuff I simply can't pass up. Or whatever. That's what "spotty" means.
|More interviews (not just with Amy) to come!|
I may add more content categories at some point, but I'm not going to push it now. Additionally, I'm looking into more clean, sleek layouts. I'm also considering moving the site to Wordpress because I adore the way they utilize both categories and tags.